Rainbow Grocery Cooperative is committed to being a sustaining member of our community. We do this by fostering the development of living wage, democratic workplaces in the Bay Area and though donations to local non-profits that are making valuable contributions to our larger community.
Our Cooperative Grant Committee supports the development and growth of existing and start up cooperatives and collectives in the Bay Area. We prioritize funding those cooperatives that are striving to:
- Function democratically and non-hierarchically at all levels of their business/organization.
- Establish a cooperative as part of a community that is underserved by their type of business and/or by businesses that have a cooperative structure.
- Reflect the community in which they are located and maintain an inclusive and just work environment.
- Become a participant in the larger cooperative movement, especially within the Bay Area and Northern California.
- Maintain or expand an existing cooperative that has made a demonstrable contribution to their local community.
Our Donations Committee works to support organizations that not only reflect the diversity of our cooperative but also of our larger community. Our goal is to enrich and strengthen local organizations that promote the following:
- Community Development
- Social Justice
- Environmental Protection and Sustainable Agriculture
- The Arts
- Human & Animal Rights
- Health Awareness