Between 1996 and 2013, Rainbow Grocery Cooperative actively supported local organizations, groups, and projects through our Grants and Sponsorship Committees. In 2013, our membership decided to re-focus our grants program and established the Cooperative Grant Committee to support cooperative development.
The purpose of our Cooperative Grant Program is to foster the growth of existing or start-up worker-owned cooperatives and collectives.
Through the Cooperative Grant Committee, Rainbow is committed to the development of worker-owned cooperatives in the Bay Area and prioritizes funding those cooperatives that are striving to:
- Function democratically and non-hierarchically at all levels of their business/organization.
- Establish a cooperative as part of a community that is underserved by their type of business and/or by businesses that have a cooperative structure.
- Reflect the community in which they are located and maintain an inclusive and just work environment.
- Become a participant in the larger cooperative movement, especially within the Bay Area and Northern California.
- Maintain or expand an existing cooperative that has made a demonstrable contribution to their local community.
If you are interested in finding out more about our Cooperative Grant Program, please send a letter of interest to: Cooperative Grant Program Rainbow Grocery Cooperative 1745 Folsom Street San Francisco, CA 94103