An Anti-Oppression Workgroup was founded in 2001 after Rainbow Grocery Cooperative's worker/owners voted overwhelmingly to institute anti-oppression trainings at our cooperative. This workgroup's mission is to promote education and provide trainings at Rainbow that will further the following goals:
- Identify formal and informal systems of oppression and privilege.
- Buying goods from local organic farmers, collectives, bakers, dairies and other local businesses whenever possible
- Confront issues of oppression and privilege at Rainbow and in the larger society
- Encourage respectful communication across difference which facilitates both hearing and being heard.
- Build solidarity and learn how to be good allies.
- Empower Rainbow workers to create change in ourselves, our store and our communities.